Sunday, October 30, 2016

The Challenging Trails of Mt. Kitanglad and Mt. Dulang-Dulang

It takes passion to face the mountains. This was my only last conviction to push through my dream climb on the second and fourth highest peak in the Philippines since everyone but two, had finally decided to back out on the day. I was really anxious then, knowing that I would be the only female in the group, and pressured because they might be fast hikers I almost wanted to back out too. It is a rare chance to climb these mountains though, because after my Mt. Apo in 2012, I have really wanted to conquer the country's next top summit but getting a permit and slot was difficult for me alone. And now after four years, there wouldn't be another opportunity, so this is it! Why would I let it slip away? I called some friends to burst out my anxiousness and I was reminded to live life. They just supported me.

From Davao City, we went to Maramag, Bukidnon Tourism Office to get our permit; headed to Kitanglad, Impasug-ong and rode a habal-habal to jump off. We started trekking at around 10 am, took lunch at the first campsite and went on.


A view of a waterfalls


I thought it was a smooth ascent that we could reach the summit in 3-4 hours, as the local guides usually observed, but we made it in 6 hours. Albeit the metal stairs installed in Mt. Kitanglad trail, I felt this was the hardest for me.



Stolen shot!


The struggle was desperately real I cried and wouldn't want to go back there. I also regretted I didn't prepare my body well and I couldn't take the weight of my load anymore. I don't usually lend my bag but Russel took it when he noticed me silent, and he carried it for awhile so I can walk further. He always said we were almost there and I hated it because I gave my all but it was never close enough until my energy was exhausted. I kept on focusing with the strength I had in my mind, and also prayed gratefully to God despite the rain so I could be reminded how much I wanted this. It was getting dark past 6 pm when we reached the summit of Mt. Kitanglad and I promised myself to treat her with good long sleep. And I did! We woke up at 7 am forgetting to meet the sunrise and I nervously prepared for another difficult painful trail.




One of the bunkhouses, where we stayed in Mt. Kitanglad Summit






Russel tried to measure our readiness for strength and mentality first, he showed us the overview of our trail to Mt. Dulang-Dulang. It was far, technical. Thrill to the bones. I think I heard Kaiser said he's okay with Kitanglad by that time, but Russel prodded us "Sayang!" we're already there. Then I thought yeah right, we just have to sacrifice with pain and kill time.  I don't have so much at work. I took a deep breath; and we headed down for Mt. Dulang-Dulang.




The trail down had a likely 80 degree wall climbing spot. It was creepy rad and I loved it. It's the point where you don't have to hurry or else you'll die fast, but rather focus on clinging to the hard ground and sturdy roots that you'll almost literally have to kiss the wall. It's the moment when you breathe from your core and whisper hold on to the soil.



View of Mt. Kitanglad Peak with the towers

Rest mode☺


After this part, we moved on 'til we entered the mossy trails. I thought it was just okay but the farther we get, I felt like the forest was growing alive and greener. Then I was amazed at the exhilarating ascents we took eventually. There was a point where a rope was already set to help mountaineers clench onto something while going up instead of crawling the mud, and following a creek-like uphill. I hadn't noticed the time enjoying when surprisingly, we we're already at the summit at around 4 pm.

Mossy Trails of KD2



Chasing Kaiser☺


Mt. Dulang-Dulang Summit




Waiting for sunset...



The cold weather in Mt. Dulang-Dulang definitely sends shivers down my the spine. I couldn't sleep properly too, because my company snores very loud. Lol!☺ We woke up early to meet the sunrise but it got shy later hiding behind the thick gloomy clouds. We descended that day delightful and loving the trail so much than any other mountains I visited. For me, Mt. Dulang-Dulang has the best mossy forest!




KD2 Group picture down to Manny's Garden


No comments:

Post a Comment