Tuesday, January 26, 2016

My Unexpectedly Beautiful Sanchez Peak Adventure

First, I would really like to express once again, my deepest gratitude to God for this great opportunity to climb another mountain (with great friends) after a year of deprivation just staring at them daydreaming, and only traveling places like as if I'm a wealthy tourist in her best modern-city OOTD (which I'm totally not). My love for mountain climbing is therefore irreplaceable.

We rode to Gensan via bus at around 8 AM from Davao City, with my hiking buddies Jake and Kela, plus her recruits and my friend, Aia. We took our lunch first upon arriving and met our hardcore female guide, Ate Sherlyn Riaz. We bought few more goods along the way and proceeded to Barangay Olympog, our chosen trail, to start the trek. We chose this option because it's more challenging than the other trails and has some shades of coconut trees and tall grasses we can walk under for some time against the burning heat of the sun.

Photo credit: Rahratt Hudieres




Behold, the handmade of the Lord!






Sanchez Peak is indeed known as a natural tourist destination in Gensan that many people are coming to, especially during weekends overcrowding the peak like a famous beach resort. We did not expect the number of visitors and locals in the area bringing with them their single motorcycles via Balasinag/Balakayo trail. The land owner, Sir Jun Sanchez had put up a few open cottages and a mini store at the peak that sells a gallon of water for Php50, ice, canned goods, beverages, snack chips, and barbeque. They can also cook chicken tinola for you!


Photo credit: Rahratt Hudieres

Photo credit: Rahratt Hudieres

View of Mt. Matutum from Sanchez Peak




We had heard, read and thought that Sanchez Peak is just a minor climb but the one we got was not what we expected. We wanted to visit the waterfalls, so we had to do long hiking over several mountains and river trekking, which is good to get relief from the sun, then to Amsicong/Kalaja Falls. But the descent trail we took was made for real adrenaline junkies with not just hiking along slopes and cliffs or jumping over big rocks, but also wall climbing!
















Conquering the 127 Hours rock. lol

I made it to the top. Photo credit: Aia Lou Bangcong


The trek was overall, rad! I loved the rock climbing even though I got a little nervous but this was my choice, to get lost and get wild. (And to feel physical pain, I guess) So this wasn't just a minor hike, I daresay. And I appreciate a company that doesn't complain but fights the battle within themselves despite the exhaustion and tests of nature. 












End of Trail.


P.S Congratulations to Korrina, Shyla, Fergie, Steph and Aia for conquering their first climb!☺☺☺



No comments:

Post a Comment