Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Trail to Mt. Talomo


I dreamed of a mossy forest.
I longed for a starry night.
I aimed for a major summit,
I never thought I'd survived...


At last, I got to be on top of another mountain again! A friend told me I'd be doing major climbs then after reaching Mt. Apo. It's not that I won't settle for minor treks anymore. Of course, it's where every climber starts (My first meeting with the mountains) and what's easily accessible one can run into for a quick escape.

I got this invitation from a group of young lads. They haven't invited a woman in but since I am a cowgirl, they didn't mind me joining. I also let my friend, Bullet, tag along so that I won't feel awkward/out of place.

We called for Calinan jeepney ride at 8AM. From it's metro market, we got a habal-habal going to Tamayong Purok 6 for P100, the start off point to Sicao Village. A little stretching up, and we're bound to the mountains!

Bananaaaaas!

Bullet got her knees and legs aching. I can't forgive myself for that. But she was a brave woman, didn't even complain, to pursue this climb from start to finish. She knew I wanted this. I thought she'd cursed me.

The strong cold wind that afternoon we arrived at Sicao Village made us detain in their two-story shelter for the rest of the day rather than risking our tents early in the wide surface before assaulting Mt. Talomo. There is a registration fee of P100/head. We planned to hit the summit the next day, so that we can rest our unwilling feet and get it ready for an arduous experience. The weather is still cold inside. We took in for a drink so we can avoid the chills and go to sleep.


 Day 2

Boys on the lead
♥The heart-warming and enchanted feeling passing through the trees♥
Enjoying the uncanny trail

Mt. Talomo has quite an inhospitable trail that will test mountaineers with its narrow grassy paths, slippery giant logs, thwarting branches and beating roots. But once you reach the peak, celebrate the magnificence of nature and count yourself one brave soul!

Following Boboy & Pit
The only natural source of water. Lunch please!
A Breath-taking Scene

It was getting dark when we're still hiking for the campsite and it started to drizzle. We stuck together for safety no matter how far we still have to take because the wilderness could also be dangerous or rather, scary. A slight dream come true to try night trekking. And we've run out of snack bits. The firsts who took the trail shall pitch the tents before the weather gets worse, then heat the pan under our improvised roof of tarpaulin. It's a security to have such company though. They made sure your doing okay; no serious injuries, and enjoying the moment. That simple dinner filled our hungry mouths, then all of us grabbed a rum to fight the wet cold. As soberness hit me, I sulked into my sleeping bag and gave in. The next morning, sunrise greeted me.




Oh, hail God Almighty!




I have seen the light that colors my dreams. With the sun that slowly reveals the beauty of the world from it's long dark night, now I finally found myself standing on top. That moment I wanted to last a little longer.

"Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." -Ed Viesturs

I did not expect to meet the sunrise at Mt. Talomo's peak on a clear blue sky, neither to experience that eerie night trek. But I am really thankful above for allowing me to spend quality time with nature even through a tough way, with a group of nature lovers like me. We descended after breakfast, refilling our bottles with murky water from a dug hole which is the only source atop. I was mesmerized by the lush green forest, that loos like as if it has just flourished, because we didn't noticed it before since it was already dark when we passed through them. God, I am so lucky!

Who wouldn't love this trail? ♥





We arrived back to Sicao Village already dark. It was this night I've witnessed the sky so full and bright with countless stars I lied and stared under. I was even trying to name a constellation, or discover another galaxy but I was not an expert. We decided for home the day after. We were desiring to take a side trip to Tamayong falls before going home but Bullet's feet were screaming. The boys settled to take a dip in the cold river and was still happy, while Bullet and I enjoyed them watching. I wasn't tempted to bathe because my period that moment came. Ugh!




   Final Exit.
My phone rang. I answered a call from my colleague Aia. She checked me out for safety and reminder. I still have a schedule to catch! My 3-11PM duty was saying hello to me, so we hurried back to reality. I reached home at 2PM then hastily proceeded to work after a rapid shower. Zoom!


~~~~~~~~~


PS : Group Pictures

Peak campsite
Mt. Sicao Village ground


Welcome sign

Boys over mountains

No comments:

Post a Comment