Sunday, May 27, 2012

My First Meeting with the Mountains


Would you like to try something new?

I wasn't even thinking about the word "adventure." I was stressed out from work and I just wanted to go somewhere for an escapade. My friend Joseph introduced me this mountaineering idea and I invited my girl friends in, and they're game! An exciting new adventure to try was an experience we never thought was hard. Joseph never failed to point us the things to prepare and do before engaging in the sport. But busy bees didn't warm up well, only did we conditioned our minds that we will walk through the mountains, just pack light and done! Enjoy the fresh air! 

We left from Davao City via Bus ride to Buda (Bani/Matigol falls) late in the morning. I was seated next to an old man, with my very light pack bag and a plastic bag of snacks and drinks. Joseph told me it's better not to bring any hand carry's so I tried to put everything in my pack. The old man beside me, asked where we're heading. His name is Boy. At first I was afraid, but along the road trip he was telling his stories and then I knew he's a mountain biker/painter/family man. He also introduced me the places we've already dropped by and his hometown, Bukidnon. He was like a tour guide. When I rode off the bus with my friends, it was already afternoon, he waved me good luck:

"Observe precautionary measures. Enjoy mountain climbing! :) "


My feet ready, finally stood on the ground. But the sky cried for joy welcoming us for taking the journey with nature. It poured hard and we're all wet but thank God it didn't last long. Here's my view after the rain :)
First photo. Fifteen minutes pa lang nilakad namin dito from the drop off, ang layo na nila oh!


That fifteen minutes made my shoes gave up already that I had to find for a tie to keep it going. What a good challenging start, eh?! I felt ashamed and disappointed about it. I wish I didn't used those shoes because I knew it couldn't keep up. So I still tied the sole over it, proceeded and walked slower.

Thou shall not use crappy shoes when hiking!

As much as I'd like to enjoy the view of the surroundings, which I did somehow, my body is pained and tired. No I wouldn't want to be left out there. I had to keep walking. After an hour of hiking, we reached the camp site at last, pitched our tent and prepared our food early for dinner.
There's a shelter for climbers available here for P100/night.

But we slept in the tent, of course. Hello there! Bullet (left), Aireen (right)

Cheers for adventure!!! With new friend Pit (right)
My friend Aireen said she wasn't able to sleep well because it was so cold. While Bullet and I slept well, the boys, too, complained because they slept in the shelter where there are a lot of mosquitoes. We all woke up early to prepare ourselves for another day of hiking.
Water Source
Good morning, mountains!

Because my shoes did not survive the first attempt, a friend brought me a pair of sneakers to use. He already told me they were coming, too. They came early in the morning from a night trek and assaulted Matigol falls right then. Saviour Ray, thank you!
Just the right fit!

We hit the trail with the sun already getting hot, with just the few things we need like food, water and camera to reach the falls. We left our bags, clothes and tent locked in the camp site so that we won't suffer much from carrying our baggage while walking and crawling in the grasses. 

Bani falls trailway has a very scenic view you sure love to hike. The smell of fresh air on top of the ranging mountains is really breath taking, with the colors of green and blue that crosses the horizon makes you forget about the hardship of coming through the paths, and of course, the stresses you have while you were in the city. I slipped and fell a lot of times in trekking Bani falls. But when you see that your destination is already there, it would make you do a lot more.
Trail to Bani falls
Bani Falls

Kawa

Not so top of the falls

When you want it, go for it. Dig in!
That feeling when you pass way your fear. Aireen on her 5K jersey


We arrived at the bottom of the falls by noon and ate our lunch with exhaustion and with that feeling of achievement. I did not eat much, I don't know why, and just stared at the falls with awe until my friends called me that we need to go back.
Bani Falls


We left Bani falls at 1:00PM and when we headed back to the camp site, we were again poured with blessings. It rained, just when my legs are aching and screaming for rest. I thought it was bad to encounter such while on the trail but the feeling it gives, it makes your muscles relax just like it washes away your tiredness. It was then that I loved to walk under the rain!

When we reached the camp, my girl friends and I would have want to stay for a while, dry ourselves and rest but Joseph was in a hurry to go home because of another errand. So we pushed ourselves to go back home, wanting to cry for help. I felt sorry for my friends too because they suffered much, but they also wanted to go home already to finish all of this. 

We were not traumatized. We were experienced and thus, thankful for this kind of journey we've run across that made us know more of ourselves in tough times. I am also grateful that I have met adventurous friends, and Joseph for influencing me the love for mountain climbing. God has really shown me His awesome nature and I would love to experience more of His creative kindness through traveling.


To God be the glory!






No comments:

Post a Comment